Samba Release Planning
The regular Samba release cycle intends a new release series every nine month. Each release series then enters into maintenance mode when the next major release version comes out. Maintenance mode means that only severe bugs and security issues will be addressed. For your convenience, the next to last series will be turned into a security fixes only mode.
That means, a series is
- nine months fully supported,
- another nine months in the maintenance mode,
- nine months in the security fixes only mode.
In total, each series is maintained for a period of approximately 27 months.
If 4.0 is the current release series, then 3.6 would be in maintenance mode, 3.5 would be in the security fixes only mode, and finally the support of 3.4 would be stopped with the release of 4.0.0.
Each series can have any number of desired minor release. These will be released usually every 6 weeks.
- Release Planning for Samba 4.1 - new upcoming release series
- Release Planning for Samba 4.0 - current series (started 2012-12-11)
- Release Planning for Samba 3.6 - maintenance mode (started 2011-08-09)
- Release Planning for Samba 3.5 - security fixes only (started 2010-03-01)
- Release Planning for Samba 3.4 - discontinued (2012-12-11, started 2009-07-03)
- Release Planning for Samba 3.3 - discontinued (2011-08-09, started 2009-01-27)
- Release Planning for Samba 3.2 - discontinued (2010-03-01, started 2008-07-02)
- Release Planning for Samba 3.0 - discontinued (2009-08-05)
For details on the release branches, please see Branch Policy.