Samba 4.13 Features added/changed
Samba 4.13 is next upcoming release series.
- Release Notes for Samba 4.13rc2
- August 14, 2020
This is the second release condidate of Samba 4.13. This is *not* intended for production environments and is designed for testing purposes only. Please report any defects via the Samba bug reporting system at https://bugzilla.samba.org/.
Samba 4.13 will be the next version of the Samba suite.
Python 3.6 Required
Samba's minimum runtime requirement for python was raised to Python 3.5 with samba 4.12. Samba 4.13 raises this minimum version to Python 3.6 both to access new features and because this is the oldest version we test with in our CI infrastructure.
(Build time support for the file server with Python 2.6 has not changed)
For this release, the code implementing the insecure "wide links = yes" functionality has been moved out of the core smbd code and into a separate VFS module, vfs_widelinks. Currently this vfs module is implicitly loaded by smbd as the last but one module before vfs_default if "wide links = yes" is enabled on the share (note, the existing restrictions on enabling wide links around the SMB1 "unix extensions" and the "allow insecure wide links" parameters are still in force). The implicit loading was done to allow existing users of "wide links = yes" to keep this functionality without having to make a change to existing working smb.conf files.
Please note that the Samba developers recommend changing any Samba installations that currently use "wide links = yes" to use bind mounts as soon as possible, as "wide links = yes" is an inherently insecure configuration which we would like to remove from Samba. Moving the feature into a VFS module allows this to be done in a cleaner way in future.
A future release to be determined will remove this implicit linkage, causing administrators who need this functionality to have to explicitly add the vfs_widelinks module into the "vfs objects =" parameter lists. The release notes will be updated to note this change when it occurs.
The deprecated "ldap ssl ads" smb.conf option has been removed.
Parameter Name Description Default -------------- ----------- ------- ldap ssl ads removed smb2 disable lock sequence checking No
CHANGES SINCE 4.13.0rc1
- Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>
- BUG #14450: dbcheck: Allow a dangling forward link outside our known NCs.
- Isaac Boukris <iboukris at gmail.com>
- BUG #14462: Remove deprecated "ldap ssl ads" smb.conf option.
- Volker Lendecke <vl at samba.org>
- BUG #14435: winbind: Fix lookuprids cache problem.
- Stefan Metzmacher <metze at samba.org>
- BUG #14354: kdc:db-glue: Ignore KRB5_PROG_ETYPE_NOSUPP also for Primary:Kerberos.
- Andreas Schneider <asn at samba.org>
- BUG #14358: docs: Fix documentation for require_membership_of of pam_winbind.conf.
- Martin Schwenke <martin at meltin.net>
- BUG #14444: ctdb-scripts: Use nfsconf as a last resort get nfsd thread count.