Samba 3 is the current stable production version of Samba.
Samba 3 Features
- Stable, scalable File and Print server
- Windows NT and AD domain member
Samba 3 Roadmap
This is a compilation of things that we want to achieve in future versions of Samba 3.
- Easier configurability, more than 300 options in the smb.conf configuration file are way too many
- Internal restructuring to make contributions easier. We have come a long way in this respect since Samba 3.0 days, but we need to improve a lot.
- Share technology with Samba 4. For example almost all RPC code in Samba 3.2 is converted to IDL using the PIDL compiler from Samba 4
- Implement 100% of NTFS semantics as seen by clients:
- NTFS Alternate Data Streams support: This is done in Samba 3.2 with the streams_xattr and streams_depot modules, testing and ideas for different coding schemes for streams are welcome
- Windows-compatible ACLs: On  Volker Lendecke has started coding in this area, help is welcome.
- Encrypted File System: This is a completely new area, but now that the Microsoft protocol documentation is available via , it should be possible to implement
Compiling Samba 3
Samba has a number of build-time configuration options. These control options and features that can be useful in specific environments but might not be appropriate for all installations.