Difference between revisions of "Samba"
(Move alpha15 and add alpha 16 into Previous Releases.)
(→Previous releases: Rename page for alpha15 and fix copy/paste error for alpha 16.)
|Line 72:||Line 72:|
== Upcoming releases ==
== Upcoming releases ==
Revision as of 14:25, 24 June 2011
What is Samba 4 meant to accomplish? In simplest terms, Samba 4 is an ambitious, yet achievable, reworking of the Samba code. Major features for Samba 4 already include:
- support of the 'Active Directory' logon and administration protocols
- new 'full coverage' testsuites
- full NTFS semantics for sharing backends
- Internal LDAP server, with AD semantics
- Internal Kerberos server, including PAC support
- Bind9 integration for AD DNS support
- fully asynchronous internals
- flexible process models
- better scalablilty from micro to very large installations
- new RPC infrastructure (PIDL)
- flexible database architecture (LDB)
- Python support - used excessively for client and management tools
- generic security subsystem (GENSEC)
- over 50% auto-generated code!
One of the goals of Samba4 is to implement an Active Directory compatible Domain Controller. Andrew Bartlett has written an excellent thesis on issues involved in developing an AD DC, which is also a good resource on Samba4's development in this area. The thesis was published on news.samba.org and is available here (in PDF).
Volker Lendecke has also written an excellent Advances in Samba4 paper (in PDF), and in May 2005, Tridge gave a Samba4 Progress report and Roadmap. Since that time, we have implemented an embedded web server, a KDC and made vast improvements to the embedded LDAP server.
In short, you can join a Windows (all recent releases should be supported) machine to a Samba4 domain, and it will behave much as it does in AD, including Kerberos domain logins where applicable.
Samba4 development is moving very rapidly, but there is still much work to be done. A date has not been set for an official release, but the current source is available from our Git repository. To browse the source via a web browser, see Samba4's gitweb pages for the current v4-0-test (replaced by master), v4-0-stable (current branch for 4.x.x Alpha releases), and master (combined branch for 3.x.x and 4.x.x) branches. For more info on available branches, as well how to obtain the sources via a Git client, see the samba.org devel page.
Samba 4 is currently not yet in a state where it can replace existing production deployments.
- User Testing
- Smart Card login (to windows clients) HOWTO
- Building Debian packages of Samba 4
- Create a Single Sign On VPN with Samba4 HOWTO
- Known/Reported Open Bugs
- Development Resources
- Test status
- Gtk+ frontends
- Active Directory plans
- Domain Member plans
- LDAP directory server backend history notes
- Samba4 DRS TODO List
- Samba4 AD Plugfest 2010 TODO list
- 4.0.0alpha12 - wasn't released