Difference between revisions of "Roadmap"
Revision as of 11:11, 18 June 2014
This page describes the bigger next steps in the development of Samba. The purpose is to point out the broader direction into which Samba is heading.
File Server (smbd)
- SMB2 leases - WIP (Volker)
- See Samba3/SMB2#SMB_3.0
- multi-channel - WIP (Metze, Obnox)
- persistent file handles
- witness notification protocol - WIP (Metze)
- prerequisite: asynchronous RPC server. See DCERPC
- RDMA (SMB direct) - Planning (Metze, Rsharpe, Obnox)
- directory leases
- clustering - Planning/WIP (Obnox)
- continuously available shares, scale-out shares
Clustering - CTDB
- integrate CTDB master into samba master:
- Performance on small-CPU platforms (like ARM)
- reduce CPU usage
- performance in clusters, TDB/CTDB
- Parallel, small I/O (HyperV) workload
Active Directory Server
- sysvol replication (file system replication)
- FRS / DFSR
- See DCERPC
- use source3/winbindd in AD server
- forest trusts
- FRS / DFSR
- MIT Kerberos support in AD server
- Create preloadable wrappers (IN_PROGRESS)
- Re-test existing MIT KDC glue around the hdb backend
- Use the OpenLDAP Database engine and LDAP protocol handlers in AD server
A lot of DCE/RPC work needs to be done before we can really finish this task.
- async schannel (NETLOGON) client (Metze)
- merged crypto handling for samlogon cred validation (Günther/Metze)
- merged libnetjoin interfaces (Günther/Metze)
- DCE/RPC client API changes (Günther/Metze)
- tevent based async infrastructure (new services: witness, replication, snapshot, PAR)
- client context (get rid of lp_ usage and globals for client details)
- association group implementation
- DCE/RPC server API merge and cleanup
- See DCERPC
Abstract data model
We might want to implement the abstract data model as outlined in MS-ADPS and other specs. This would allow to abstract the existing interfaces (dsdb/passdb) which both are not the best match for trust handling. Once we have that, and we have the common DCE/RPC infrastructure, we can easily plug implementations for trusts (e.g. from s3) into s4 (and vice-versa).
- We need to find a way to setup multi-trust environments during make test to test more compelx scenarios (e.g. the forst trust test from Sumit Bose).
- We need to test trust calls on MEMBER and DC configurations.
- Samba4 lacks support for some LSA and Netlogon calls related to trusts, some of them exist in s3 some are in my master-netlogon branch.
The RPC server is an infrastructure component that is of crucial importance for both the file server and the active directory server. A few tasks in for the RPC server are prerequisites for higher level features in the file server and the active directory server.
- See DCERPC for details
- Reconcile source3 source4 server and client implementations
- Make RPC server (and client) implementation fully asynchronuous (Metze)