Release Planning for Samba 3.2
Samba 3.2 discontinued
With the release of Samba 3.5.0, Samba 3.2 has been marked discontinued.
Samba 3.2 turned into mode
Moving forward, any 3.2.x releases will be on a as needed basis for security issues only.
- Thursday, October 1 - Samba 3.3.8 has been issued as Security Release to address CVE-2009-2906,
- Wednesday, August 12 - Samba 3.2.14 has been released
Please note that this is the last bug fix release of the 3.2 series!
- Tuesday, June 23 2009: Samba 3.2.13 Security Release has been released to address
- Tuesday, June 16 - Samba 3.2.12 has been released
- Wednesday, April 1 - Samba 3.2.10 has been released due to update problems in Samba 3.2.9 (see BUG 6195 and the release notes for more details).
- Tuesday, March 31 - Samba 3.2.9 has been released
- Tuesday, February 03 - Samba 3.2.8 has been released
- Monday, January 05 - Samba 3.2.7 Security Release has been released to address CVE-2009-0022 ("Potential access to "/" in setups with registry shares enabled")
- Wednesday, December 10 - Samba 3.2.6 has been released.
- Thursday, November 27 - Samba 3.2.5 Security Release has been released to address CVE-2008-4314 ("Potential leak of arbitrary memory contents").
- Thursday, September 18 - Samba 3.2.4 has been released
- Wednesday, August 27 - Samba 3.2.3 Security Release has been released to address CVE-2008-3789 ("Wrong permissions of group_mapping.ldb")
- Tuesday, August 19 - Planned release date for 3.2.2 (bugfix release)
- Tuesday, August 5 - 3.2.1 has been released.
Release Notes for Samba 3.2.0 July 1, 2008
This is the first stable release of Samba 3.2.0.
Please be aware that Samba is now distributed under the version 3 of the new GNU General Public License. You may refer to the COPYING file that accompanies these release notes for further licensing details.
Major enhancements in Samba 3.2.0 include:
- Use of IDL generated parsing layer for several DCE/RPC interfaces.
- Removal of the 1024 byte limit on pathnames and 256 byte limit on filename components to honor the MAX_PATH setting from the host OS.
- Introduction of a registry based configuration system.
- Improved CIFS Unix Extensions support.
- Experimental support for file serving clusters.
- Support for IPv6 in the server, and client tools and libraries.
- Support for storing alternate data streams in xattrs.
- Encrypted SMB transport in client tools and libraries, and server.
- Support for Vista clients authenticating via Kerberos.
Winbind and Active Directory Integration:
- Full support for Windows 2003 cross-forest, transitive trusts and one-way domain trusts.
- Support for userPrincipalName logons via pam_winbind and NSS lookups.
- Expansion of nested domain groups via NSS calls.
- Support for Active Directory LDAP Signing policy.
- New LGPL Winbind client library (libwbclient.so).
- Support for establishing interdomain trust relationships with Windows 2008.
- New NetApi library for domain join related queries (libnetapi.so) and example GTK+ Domain join gui.
- New client and server support for remotely joining and unjoining Domains.
- Support for joining into Windows 2008 domains.
(Updated 02-July-2008) The following time based release schedule is currently in play for Samba 3.2.0:
- Friday, February 29 - Feature freeze for Samba 3.2.0pre2 in the v3-2-stable git branch.
- Tuesday, March 4 - Samba 3.2.0pre2 has been released.
- Friday, March 28 - Planned release date for 3.2.0pre3: postponed due to some critical bugs.
- Friday, April 18 - Planned release date for 3.2.0.: postponed
- Tuesday, April 22 - Feature freeze for Samba 3.2.0pre3 in the v3-2-stable git branch.
- Friday, April 25 - Samba 3.2.0pre3 has been released.
- Friday, May 23 - Samba 3.2.0rc1 has been released.
- Tuesday, June 10 - Samba 3.2.0rc2 has been released.
- Tuesday, July 1 - 3.2.0 final has been released.