The in-kernel CIFS filesystem is generally the preferred method for mounting SMB/CIFS shares on Linux. More information on Linux CIFS is available at the Linux CIFS VFS site.
Although not really part of Samba proper, these tools were originally part of the Samba package. For several reasons, shipping these tools as part of Samba was problematic and it was deemed better to split them off into their own package.
- October 19, 2010: Release 4.7
- July 30, 2010: Release 4.6
- May 21, 2010: Release 4.5
- April 28, 2010: Release 4.4
- April 9, 2010: Release 4.3
- April 2, 2010: Release 4.2
- March 23, 2010: Release 4.1
- March 3, 2010: Release 4.0 -- first official cifs-utils release
- February 26, 2010: Release 4.0rc1
- February 14, 2010: The git repo has moved to a new location. See the Development section below
- February 9, 2010: Release 4.0-alpha1. In order to smooth the transition from shipping these tools as part of samba, the first release will be 4.0.
A historical set of cifs-utils releases is available in the  directory.
The source code for cifs-utils is managed via git. An example checkout from the main git repo:
$ git clone git://git.samba.org/cifs-utils.git
gitweb access is also available here.
Questions, suggestions, concerns, and patches should be sent to the linux-cifs mailing list. Security issues should be sent to email@example.com to avoid immediate public disclosure.